Monday, August 11, 2008

Mini garage sale!

This weekend was beautiful. I wish I had pictures but I was so busy enjoying it that I didn't grab the camera. Saturday started with our kids mini garage sale. Instead of a lemonade stand, our kids decided to sell some items they were no longer using. YEAH!!!! Of course, we sold everything at dirt cheap prices. We wanted to move it out of the house. We held it from 9 to noon and only posted two signs (one at each entrance to our subdivision). The result... $84.00! We were thrilled. That is a lot of books at 25 cents each. We sold a few VCR tapes, some games which our kids are too old to play now. Mark and I even slipped a few items in and sold them; an old golf club set $10 - and I sold a set of winter dishes to the lady across the street for another $10. All and all we were happy. We laughed about what did sell and what did not. I also was puzzled at how people dicker about price when an item is marked $2????


We discovered a few traits we never knew our kids had. Scott is a natural salesman. (Someone help us! I see used cars in the future. Is it possible for someone to go to Harvard and come out selling used cars?) He was actually really charming. Ladies would come up the drive way and he'd start out with a "Hello". Then he'd ask "Is there something particular that you're looking for"? My mom and I would totally chuckle. Yes, Grandma came out to observe the craziness and she brought Dunkin Donuts!!!

Annabelle had a different approach. She would just stand around and listen. When they would mention something like "My granddaughter likes bugs", Annabelle would start whipping out books or tapes that had anything to do with bugs. The coolest thing was we sold a kids alphabet book that was titled "A is for Annabelle" to a lady you had a niece named Annabelle. What a small world.


Both kids were excited about their sales for the day. When we were done - they helped us pack everything up for charity. It was a good experience for the kids and it jump started our weekend.

1 comment:

~joanne said...

Sorry I couldn't come over and shop! Sounds like some good selling going on there!!

My sales have become well known in KC....I always have about 5-6 families bring stuff over and help. It gives a great assortment. We always have like 10 cars in front of the house. My Dad is always amazed at the amount of people that come.

....And then there is what they buy...that's a story all in it's self! We always play 'pick the item'....picking an item and watching to see if it sells!!...it usually does!