Thursday, August 14, 2008

Work, work, work





Many people ask me where I work. So here it is. The first picture is the main entrance of the building I work in. Smith Engineering part of SEC Group, Inc. A civil, structural, water, waste water, engineering firm with surveying and construction services. We are one of ENR's top 100 engineering firms. This first photo only shows about one fourth of the length of our local office. Yes, I work within 5 minutes of home. It's an awesome commute. Sorry Mark who travels 45 minutes daily each way.
The other pictures are of my office.... okay it's the lobby of our office! But, it is also my office. See the last picture. That's my desk. I work in the lobby area because I not only answer the phones, write contracts, file, handle the supply orders, bind plans, deliver plans, water the plants, but I get to greet our guests. Being an Administrative Assistant, can be fun at times. I have a great view with lots of windows. I have to admit it's nicer than some of the engineers' cubicles they have here.
So you are thinking now. Wow, her job isn't as great as I thought. Well that is where many people are mistaken. It's not where you work or always what you do, but the people for whom you work that makes a work place great. I have worked in beautiful offices and had a horrible staff to work with. I've also worked in real dumps and have met the most wonderful people. So, today's thought is no matter what you do for a living, if you are truly happy working for or with the people you work with, well then it's a great job. This motto goes for those stay at home mom's too.

2 comments:

~joanne said...

What a great commute! You could walk it!
Are those walls really that bright of a green??....lovin' it...just seems like you would be looking for the dimmer switch.
And you are doing a fantastic job on those plants!!! They would need lots of help if I were taking care of them!
Glad you are loving your job AND the your coworkers..it's makes it easier to go to work in the morning!

Vicki said...

Yes, the walls really are this green. The funny thing is it's only this part of the office painted such a strong color. The rest is very mellow. The plants are touch and go. I just happen to catch them on a good day, but thanks! I wish I could walk it but unfortunately there are too many major roads to try and cross. I think I'd be road kill before I'd make it to work.